Tallow moisturiser recipes available?

Illy

Premium
Hi fellow Soapers,
My question is not related to soaping per say, but to finding good (professional) moisturiser recipes featuring tallow, or to tweak a recipe to include it.
I have a great soap biz, and recently have been gifted tallow body care products. I'm SO amazed at how healing they are! I'd really like to start experimenting with recipes.
Does anyone know if you can swap out one oil ingredient for another (to replace with tallow) in a moisturiser recipe?
Or if there is an excellent book or website that contains recipes for actual moisturisers (not balms) that feature tallow?
Thanks for your help! :)

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Tallow moisturizers are great! It’s not really interchangeable with other oils or butters, but I do a whipped tallow cream that I really love. I’ve done several different ones, but don’t really have a recipe that I would say is perfect. I’ve done 100% tallow, done it with jojoba, with a bit of sweet almond, etc, and been happy with all of them but I’m not very picky really. I hope you find some good recipes to experiment with!

Illy

Premium
Thanks so much for your reply! :)
Do you know of any forums like this one that is especially for skincare recipes? It'd be interesting to see what's out there. I haven't found one yet but they're not always easy to find!

Laine

Premium
There are a few groups on Facebook that are for natural skincare formulation that might be helpful. You said moisturizer, so I'm guessing you want a more lotion like product? That would involve an emulsifier and preservative if so. If you go completely oil based you can omit them, but I would recommend adding vitamin E to help keep the oils from going rancid more quickly. I'm going to go look up some of my favorite formulation sites for you now, I'll edit them in when I get the list :)

Just keep in mind, when you add water, you need a preservative, even if it's being added after your finished product (Shower Scrubs for example). You have to use the right preservative for your product, as they are often temperature, pH, and oil/water sensitive. Happy formulating!

Davali

Premium
I've used tallow to make lotion, and it's lovely. I agree with the recommendation to check out Humblebee & Me. She has a whole YT playlist on lotion making, here. The video entitled "This Formulation Skill Will Change Your Life" will give you some ideas how to adjust your percentages of water, emulsifier, and fat to create the lotion consistency that you prefer.

Latest posts