Is lye calculator here accurate? I just failed my batch with the calcul using Soapmaking Freinds

pongdangbinu

I've made a soap since January, and had lots of them since then, I never failed with soap making that I used another calcul which the app doesn't have a Coconut Virgin Oil but only Coconut.

I use Coconut Virgin Oil, and Palm oil only.
But I found here yesterday there was a list section where I can choose "COCONUT VIRGIN OIL' not like others.
Oddly, NaOH is much less than other calculs but why not? I didn't doubt about it and thus it seems a trustworthy website here where lots of soap makers use.
With Palm and Coconut oil, my batch should be harden within 3 hours but it has been 24 hours past. It's still soft.
I googled the cause, several articles mentioned if NaOH is not enough, make the batch soft and failed.

Do you think the calculator here is inaccurate? or Should I wait more??? Its Coconut oil and palm oil.
I made the same batch 2 days ago with another APP calculator that doesn't have Coconut Virgin oil but only COCONUT OIL.

Go to the calcul, and try it with Coconut Virgin oil. NaOH drops around from 256g with COCONUT 76 to 211g with Coconut Virgin oil.
I used Coconut virgin oil of 900g, and Palm oil of 600g.

With 256g of NaOH, I didn't have any problem 2 days ago, (i made several batches two days in a row) And it usually hardens with 3 hours so.

Last edited:

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Everything in my research says that virgin coconut oil and regular coconut oil are different and have different SAP values.
I cannot find a definitive answer on what the virgin coconut oil should be, as it requires extensive testing, but we'll look into this.
What was your desired superfat in your recipe?
The soap will still harden but we can look into the superfat desired and see if the SAP we have for virgin coconut oil is the best estimate.

astuti

Premium
Everything in my research says that virgin coconut oil and regular coconut oil are different and have different SAP values.
I cannot find a definitive answer on what the virgin coconut oil should be, as it requires extensive testing, but we'll look into this.
What was your desired superfat in your recipe?
The soap will still harden but we can look into the superfat desired and see if the SAP we have for virgin coconut oil is the best estimate.
Hi Yooper. I am writing this to ask the same question. What is your source of info about the SAP value of virgin coconut oil? Because I have been making soap for almost 2 years, and I have always used either coconut oil (76 deg.) or virgin coconut oil interchangeably, with no different SAP values. I used to use another calculator, and both oils are treated as the same oils. But here, the difference is very significant, I am very hesitant to try it. I am making my own transparent soap base from scratch, and the superfat will make a big difference. I have always used Soapee before it shut down. And my transparent soap has always been clear and safe even though I change the oils from coconut oil to virgin coconut oil or vice versa with no change in NaOH. But here, the lye will differ considerably.
This is one big thing that bugs me with soapmaking friend.

Last edited:

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Hi Yooper. I am writing this to ask the same question. What is your source of info about the SAP value of virgin coconut oil? Because I have been making soap for almost 2 years, and I have always use either coconut oil (76 deg.) or virgin coconut oil interchangeably, with no different SAP values. I used to use another calculator, and both oils are treated as the same oils. But here, the difference is very significant, I am very hesitant to try it. I am making my own transparent soap base from scratch, and the superfat will make a big difference. I have always used Soapee before it shut down. And my transparent soap has always been clear and safe even though I change the oils from coconut oil to virgin coconut oil or vice versa with no change in NaOH. But here, the lye will differ considerably.
This is one big thing that bugs me with soapmaking friend.

We went with the best information we could find. If your virgin coconut oil behaves like coconout oil, then continue to use that calculation.

Another user was using virgin coconut oil that DID have a significant difference in the SAP value.

I did a lot of reading about this, including this:
Cold pressed coconut oil is extracted from copra or dried coconut kernel, usually after drying coconuts in the sun. Like the name suggests, the coconuts are pressed to extract the oil and is ready for use and consumption. However virgin coconut oil is extracted from the fresh coconut milk and left to settle down.

So, that's why they different SAP values, as coconut milk does have a different SAP value. Maybe the 'virgin coconut oil' from your source is not exactly the same as described there though.