Re-sizing a batch creates crazy math with oil proportions

tgirlsoap

Premium
I just copied a batch I made in March and chose "re-size" because the original batch was 35.27oz and I wanted a 50oz batch.

Once I did that I looked at the oil amounts needed and noticed the math was wildly wrong. For a 50oz batch the software calculates 60oz each of multiple oils. The more I look at the oil amounts, the more I see that every oil amount is calculated incorrectly, but lye is correct! Something is off.

See attached
Thanks!
Tommi

Attachments

• June 5 24 Soap Resize issue.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 2

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I just copied a batch I made in March and chose "re-size" because the original batch was 35.27oz and I wanted a 50oz batch.

Once I did that I looked at the oil amounts needed and noticed the math was wildly wrong. For a 50oz batch the software calculates 60oz each of multiple oils. The more I look at the oil amounts, the more I see that every oil amount is calculated incorrectly, but lye is correct! Something is off.

See attached
Thanks!
Tommi

Can you give me a link to the original and copy? Or the names of the recipes? I need to see both and dig into this. Thank you.

tgirlsoap

Premium

tgirlsoap

Premium
Thank you! I just tried to make a batch with a new recipe and the math is incorrect with this, too. The recipe itself is fine -- but when I turn it into a batch the math goes haywire. The total batch size is 120oz, so Palm, Coconut & Olive should be around 20+oz each, but only Palm has the correct # of ounces.
My inventory is wrong, too, but if there's a way for me to manually change it all I will do so.
Here's a link of today's batch mishap:

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Thank you! I just tried to make a batch with a new recipe and the math is incorrect with this, too. The recipe itself is fine -- but when I turn it into a batch the math goes haywire. The total batch size is 120oz, so Palm, Coconut & Olive should be around 20+oz each, but only Palm has the correct # of ounces.
My inventory is wrong, too, but if there's a way for me to manually change it all I will do so.
Here's a link of today's batch mishap:

Thanks for more info- that helps alot. The developer will be digging into this. I apologize for the issue, and we'll get it fixed as soon as possible.

tgirlsoap

Premium
Thanks for more info- that helps alot. The developer will be digging into this. I apologize for the issue, and we'll get it fixed as soon as possible.
Thanks! I'm laughing because all I want to do is make soap, and I thought using the batch function would be helpful (I never used it before last year) and now it's . . . . more of a head scratcher.

I'm hesitant to mention I found another software bug that actually isn't a bug but other people might find the software confusing.

Under "Custom Additives" if you choose "% of oils" the % you enter has to be in whole numbers. Meaning, 1% is literally entered as "1."

To my mind % are always entered mathmatically using the decimal system so "1%" is written as "0.01." So that's what I did.

It didn't work and I thought there was a new bug. I just entered 1" and the software does the math.

Maybe it's just my brain -- I'm realizing as I type this that superfat, etc are all entered as whole numbers, so I don't know why I assumed this part of the software would be different. But if anybody says the software is broken it could be they're brain works like mine and they're not entering a whole # for the %.

(I hope the way I explained this makes sense!)

And now to make soap!!! :)

tgirlsoap

Premium
Last problem!!! I just printed my 120oz batch from the Recipe calculator and the calculator says the total batch weight is 124.43oz (printout attached). 23.77 (liquid) +11.88 (lye) +84.35 (oils) = 120oz.
Not sure what's going on . . .

Attachments

• 6-6-24 120oz batch reads 124oz.pdf
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

tgirlsoap

Premium
This crazy math goes back several months, which explains why my inventory has been off for so long.
Here's a batch from February that's 150oz and as an example 94oz of cocoa butter is being used and 65,000oz of Apricot oil is being used. Now I understand why my recent batches say I'm out of various oils that I actually have. :)

tgirlsoap

Premium
It's better! Closer. Not 100%.
I made two 12oz batches yesterday where only one ingredient was different (organic red palm oil vs. palm oil).
Here's what happened.
1. The oil measurements weren't the same even though the % were exactly the same -- the difference wasn't huge but makes no sense to me since the recipes were almost identical and when I created "organic red palm" in the software I gave it the properties of regular palm oil.
2. The fragrance blend on one was totally off. Given that, I clicked "No" for those so my inventory wouldn't go haywire
Here's a link to the batches:
Wonky math on fragrance:

Latest posts