Liquid soap help - too much oil???

ArD

Hi I tried to make liquid soap for the first time using this recipe: How To Make DIY Liquid Castile Soap | Northwest Edible Life
All was going great for the first 2 hrs of cooking it
Then it stopped gelling and for the next few hours didn't change at all, it was white on the outside and gel on the inside/top and every time i mixed it it all turned into a not - quite - transparent colour
and got softer and softer until it was like super fluffy mashed potatoes.
All clarity tests turned cloudy white almost immediately.
Wanted to do zap test but the lightest touch makes it stick to my finger its very soft gel.
I needed to go to sleep so turned off the crockpot and it's been sitting there for the last 2 days, a semi-transparent amber colour, texture of soft gel.
When I made the lye mixture, I poured the lye fast into the water and ran out of the room for a few mins so as not to breathe it in.
Could be maybe that not all the lye got in or that some spilled?
I used filtered water from my Berkey filter would that do it?
Is there any way to fix it, really don't want to throw it all out.
Any help would be super appreciated!

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
That's a long blog- what was the actual recipe?
Remember to always, no matter what, run any recipe through the calculator to make sure it's not lye heavy or too much oil. I'll do that, if you provide the amounts of what you used.
try the zap test (it's cool now, right?

ArD

That's a long blog- what was the actual recipe?
Remember to always, no matter what, run any recipe through the calculator to make sure it's not lye heavy or too much oil. I'll do that, if you provide the amounts of what you used.
try the zap test (it's cool now, right?

Ingredients​

• 24 oz weight (680 grams) olive oil
  • 16 oz weight (454 grams) coconut oil
  • 9.35 oz weight (265 grams) Potassium hydroxide lye flakes
  • 32 oz (4 cups | 907 grams) distilled water, for lye-solution
  • 10 to 12 cups distilled water, to dilute, plus extra as needed
how do i do the zap test without eating soap? its so soft it sticks to my finger.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
That’s a LOT of water, probably why it’s so sticky. Way more than you needed to make the soap. Again, always run it through a calculator. You started with 3.2:1 water:lye which is higher than any I’ve ever heard of for hot process liquid soap. However, you can dilute it (little by little, do NOT add it all at one time!) if it doesn’t zap.

ArD

correct. its still a paste
its ok to put that stuff on my tongue?
dilute it, meaning add water? to make the liquid soap? how much water to add?
the cloudiness isnt a problem?
thanks!

ArD

That’s a LOT of water, probably why it’s so sticky. Way more than you needed to make the soap. Again, always run it through a calculator. You started with 3.2:1 water:lye which is higher than any I’ve ever heard of for hot process liquid soap. However, you can dilute it (little by little, do NOT add it all at one time!) if it doesn’t zap.
?

ArD

Added water to soap paste and left it in the crockpot on warm overnight and it still didnt dissolve, part of the paste stays on the bottom and a layer of paste forms on the surface of the water, what can i do?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Added water to soap paste and left it in the crockpot on warm overnight and it still didnt dissolve, part of the paste stays on the bottom and a layer of paste forms on the surface of the water, what can i do?

It sounds like it’s not diluted enough yet. Some soaps like olive oil soaps need more thinning with water to be diluted completely.